Today at church a woman and her husband came in late and sat two seats over from me. She was someone I had never met. During the choir’s performance I was surprised that she reached over to me and tapped me saying, “You have the prettiest little face.” I was quite taken back and told her thank you for saying that. She left early and I didn’t have a chance to extend myself to her. That personal and kind act on her part was the highlight of my day and reinforced something I had taken in as truth: “We all need someone to look at us,” Milan Kundera from The Unberable Lightness of Being. I know what that encounter did for me, and I'd like to take that strangers role in my next encounter.
Accolade
A compliment can be uncomfortable.
It results in a blush.
But, I must admit, it gives me a rush.
Graciously I say, “Thank you,”
As I know I should,
Because it makes the giver feel good.
-Carol Oldham

1 comment:
I love your poem! Great!
Post a Comment